25 Jan 2023

Goodbye To Wales (Cymru)


 

As the countdown for a dreaded, return looms

It seems like time is flying away like a storm

Swirling towards the gigantic ocean of reality

Draining out the sand beneath the feet

Slowly drowning me in its ever-growing depth

The more I look for an anchor of hope to hold on

The land of fathers looks sure to abandon me

Back to the world I belong to, for an unforeseeable time

I will miss the hills and valleys filled with green carpets

Of grasslands, separated by hedges all along

The array of sheep and lambs munching on virgin grass

The tidal river Usk and its uncertain flow directions

The drizzles that accompanied by heavy winds

The freezing temperatures and the naked trees in winter

The picturesque landscapes I saw on my journeys to work

The seamless motorways made distances look like nothing

The endless daylight of summer and eternal darkness of winter

The hams, kebabs, chips and fish, countless experiments with food  

The dragons, castles, forts and all those heritage that remains


 

 

 I wrote this poem when I left Newport for Birmingham in 2012. 

Images Courtesy: Adobe Stock Images and Nation.Cymru

4 comments:

Graham Crosby said...

A lovely poem. Wales is definitely a great source of inspiration.
Thanks for sharing.

Nithin RS said...

Thank you 😊

Molly | Transatlantic Notes said...

What a lovely poem; so evocative!

Nithin RS said...

Thank You :)