3 May 2022

A Bag Full of Cash


 

A lady walking back to her apartment 

After her late-night work shift came across 

A bag full of cash abandoned on a footpath

Under a streetlight in front of a legendary statue 

She was stunned and excited about the possibilities 

Nobody was around and she asked herself 

Should I Keep this?

I didn't steal this, it might be a god's gift 

My morals are slightly blinding as the cash is there for taking

I am just skint and broke, it won't make me a bad person

If I take this home and start a new life in a faraway town

Her joy was short-lived as a man saw her with the bag open

He asked if it was her money!

She was sure that the man has seen her checking the money

She nodded that she got it from there a while ago 

She offered him a share from that bag 

He was broke too and need cash to repay his debts 

He was tempted by the offer and was about to agree

Somehow, he asked, what if its a blood money?

Belonging to nasty gangs and they might chase them

To take back money and revenge! 

I fear about the source of the money! I don't want it. 

She said you're just doing the right thing

I should be as well, but I don't think I would be able to 

Before she could take the bag and walk away 

A man with a gun asked them to up their hands 

He claimed that it was his lifelong earning 

He was not going to share a penny with them

If they want their lives, 

They should walk away without looking back 

They were scared for their lives and they walked dejectedly

With broken dreams and ruined hopes of a better life 

Only to hear the gunshots 

and they saw that man on the floor dead 

They ran for their lives leaving behind their wishes 

Towards the safety of their homes 

They could hear the angry taunts from a gang

This is what happens to the backstabbers in our gang

No mercy, death is the only punishment for the betrayal

The deceased man had planned for a while to dump a bag

During one of their robbery return trips, his mate knew it

He had informed the gang leader after the man went missing   


This poem is inspired and based on a conversation with @sliced_carpet on Twitter. Her tweet was , bag of cash.. nobody around.. are you keeping it? Be honest. Image taken from istockphoto. Thank you :) 


1 comment:

Vanessa said...

This is quite a piece of artwork. I loved it. I was totally immersed in the story. It's quite deep too, it has precious moral gems to think about.