27 May 2022

Black Beauty



Black Beauty written 
With the image of a horse 
Reminded me of the book 
I learned in my school 
While I was in the salon 
I have been there before 
The new hairdresser
Looked familiar 
I initiated a conversation 
And I remembered 
A salon bearing the same name 
Near where I used to live earlier 
My father used to take me there 
For haircuts as a school kid 
Where I had my last haircut
In my twenties 
He told me that it's the same brand 
I asked about the other man 
He was soft-spoken and friendly 
But he lost his voice somehow 
I remember him showing me the 
Facilities in the salon after upgrading 
And inquiring about life 
Whenever I visited the salon 
That man was the uncle
Images from the past came to my mind 
There's always a special bond 
With the hairdressers 
The stories they tell while cutting hair
They remember individual hairstyle 
They're the local vocal classifieds 
I used to look for Black Beauty 
But their board was gone 
A few years ago
I found it again
A piece from my past 




It was nostalgic to find an old salon relocated. For years I thought that they shut the salon. It is more intriguing that I have been to their new salon multiple times. At that time the hairdresser was a migrant from another state and spoke Hindi. I didn't notice their brand name. This time I saw the name and the picture of black beauty. It brought back everything from memory. The hairdresser was also glad to know that I was an old customer at the old place.  The images were taken by Erik-Jan Leusink and Agustin Fernandez . Thanks to Unsplash. 

No comments: