1 Jun 2022

Being Speechless




I went through 
Two weeks of horror 
Of being speechless
As my psychiatrist 
Misdiagnosed my 
sleep deprivation for 
a week as psychotic 
The drugs he prescribed 
Made me speech impaired 
It affected other organs too
I struggled to talk to anyone 
I feared if I could ever speak again
Even as the psychiatrist gave
Assurance of regaining voice 
As my friend enquired about 
The nature of the medicines 
And that it didn't improve 
The psychiatrist told me to stop using 
The medication in three days 
Slowly, I could talk again 
I was stuttering and 
Words were not clear
I had to tell repeatedly 
Loudly for others 
To understand what I meant 
An auto driver mistook me 
For a drunkard, and refused
To give me a ride to the market 
I had to convince him that 
It's the side effect of psychiatric drug 
I had to tell the same to everyone 
I interacted with in shops and in public 
Though it improved significantly
It wasn't the same and I needed recovery 
Thankfully my cousin took me to meet 
A new psychiatrist, who changed 
My medications to less potent ones 
And I was able to talk fluently again 

This poem is based on my real-life experience. I realized the importance of being able to speak to convey things to the people around me. Psychiatric/psychotic drugs can affect the functioning of different abilities and even organs of humans. The wrong diagnosis by the psychiatrist led to me being unable to speak properly for a couple of weeks. But those two weeks was the most challenging period of my life. Those drugs affected my sexual organ too. The psychiatrist told me about the side-effects of the drugs after my friend asked about them. There are side effects for even medicines given in mild dosages. My aim is to come out of the medication. The number of medicines and dosages has been reduced over the last three years. But still, a long way to go. I am under treatment for depression. The image was taken by Noah Buscher .

No comments: