14 May 2022

A Reason To Live



Why should I live?

We face this question at some point in our lives 

As kids, we have ambitions to chase 

It drives the life forward 

After studies 

There are career ambitions that drive 

The life to its limits, burning all mental energy 

In between, there's a phase of love 

That is a mirage that overdrives the wish to live 

Save money to marry the girl you love 

It remains a dream for some 

Lucky ones marry their sweethearts 

Starts living for their kids and grandkids

Some have bucket lists to live for 

Do many things they cherish 

Before they leave this world 

There are unlucky people who have 

Only a few days or years to live  

They live life worthily and inspire others 

They leave memories as a reason for others to live 

Some people find making money a reason to live 

To enjoy all the luxuries this world offers 

Some others find fulfilling responsibilities important 

The pain of unrelenting failures, heartbreak, illnesses, debts, 

and depression offers  reasons for some people to quit life 

While struggling to meet the societal pressures

Friends leaving you behind with their success 

Loneliness, even when surrounded by people 

Without being able to share the fears and thoughts 

Even with all counseling and therapy 

Suicide may seem an escape route from miseries

It takes a lot of courage to quit life 

Those who quit life are not cowards 

I asked myself million times 

Why should I live in a world without my dad?

My heart told me then to live for my mother and brother

From the brink of giving up on life  

I kept finding reasons to live 

After every setback, ever since  

In search of new destinies!



This poem is an adaptation of prose, with the same title, I wrote a decade ago. The images are taken by Aziz Acharki and Danica Tanjutco. Thank you :) 


No comments: