4 May 2022

Silence Of A Library




I see the library as a garden of books

That emanates fragrances of old and new books 

Like the fragrance of flowers of vivid colours 

The board 'Silence Please' welcome you

To the world of words full of peace 

But the hush talks do make unwanted noise

Some people forget that they're supposed to be silent

 Racks of books are arranged like skyscrapers 

Computer catalogs made it easy to locate books

Yet checking out similar books in those racks 

Give the pleasure of finding something precious

The searching for books on ladders is dangerous

But it is an adventure inside a library

The eyes of the book searchers glee when they find

The dear book they have been looking for long 

Then you see countless people totally immersed 

In the books as if they're seeing visuals live

I find the library the best place to read a book

Without worrying about time or social media

The silent reading room is like a heaven for readers

Pin drop silence, and you can hear your own heartbeats 

Many a day I sat there and read books for my research 

With nothing to disturb, the words just walk into the mind

Building the narrative I want to write for my paper 

I and my friend once sneaked into a library floor

Restricted for students, to see what was there 

In that semi-dark room, with only light from the windows 

We came across precious old books and journals  

That gave insights into machines from the industrial revolution era 

Also books on philosophy, and history, science, among others 

Neatly bookified newspapers from a different era 

I've come across the silent romances along the bookshelves corridors

Lovers keeping books in their hands and eyes lost in eyes 

They shared their hearts, as if in a park, without worries 

I found the designs for my 3-D cad projects in a British Library

Toiling hours through the automobile books, journals, and magazines 

The memories of paying fines for late return of books remain in mind

The online libraries and online book platforms

 Made books accessible in the personal gadgets

But the sensation of holding a book and flipping pages 

To read is still magical, book lovers would agree 

I would love to taste the silence of a library again to read books 


The seed of this poem came to my mind while going through the tweets related to books. I find it hard to read books now due to my depression. But I am very nostalgic about spending a lot of hours in libraries as a student. I mostly read books that are not related to studies :D Image taken by Emil Widlund. Thank you :) 

3 comments:

Glykeria said...

I love this... Libraries were always a magical place to be in, and I agree that physically searching for a book gives a peculiar kind of pleasure that simply typing in the name of the book in a computer can't replace it.
Great work. :)

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Nithin!

Cristina Rosano said...

This was great! Library and books have always held a special space in my heart and reading there, surrounded by them is always the best!