15 Apr 2022

Vishu: The Harvest Festival



 Vishu is a festival that evokes 

Memories from the childhood 

During the school holidays 

While I stayed at my Uncle's home

We used to collect golden shower flowers 

To place in front of a picture of Lord Krishna 

Along with rice, fruits, coconut, jasmine flowers 

and other auspicious items at night 

That is believed to make lord pleased 

In the morning, Aunt used to wake me up

And keep my eyes closed to take me to the

room to show the first view of Krishna and other 

Auspicious items for praying for a good year ahead

Then Uncle and Aunt gave coins as part of the elders

Giving younger ones the money for a prosperous year ahead

I and cousins used to go to my relatives' and neighbours houses

To collect coins as part of the custom and we used to save them

It used to be our pocket money for the year as kids 

The  scrumptious meal and dessert payasam 

Those images are still memorable 

It is hard to get golden shower flowers now 

And it's been a while since I celebrated Vishu 

I felt like a kid when my Mum's friend gave me 

coin and a currency note along with milk today

Wishing me a prosperous year ahead 

I felt like I saw Lord Krishna in her

My Mum too gave money like every year

I remember giving coins to the kids in the alley 

On a Vishu, when I was in Pune 

Their happiness was pure bliss 

The farmers that harvest rice, fruits and 

vegetables are the real heroes of this festival 



Images from Dreams Time and Alamy


No comments: