9 Apr 2022

My Final Day On Earth

 



One final day on this earth is special 

I'll visit a church or temple to pray 

Maybe a bribe to get a ticket to heaven


It's a relief for my broken and lonely heart 

No more battles to fight to survive another day 

No more worries to live through the pain 


I'll try to see the sunrise that I rarely see

I'll tell the sun to be gentle on me that day

I'll walk through the park for one last walk


I'll let the shower be my last rainfall 

And the crushed ice be my last snow 

I'll throw stones in a nearby stream 


I'll write poems from my sweet memories

I'll write an obituary for myself and send 

It to a digital newspaper for publishing 


I don't have many people to meet or call

I'll rather leave short goodbye messages 

With the hope of meeting again somewhere 


I'll hail a taxi and travel around for a while

To see the places I love, near where I live 

To bid adieu to the long walks I used to have


I'll spend some time in my vegetable garden

I'll water my plants and treat them with manure

I'll request someone to look after my garden 


I'll throw away the medicines that control me

And try to sleep on my own for seeing dreams

I'll try to wake up to the nightmares of my past


If there is a beach nearby, I will go there 

Walk on the sands and play with the waves

I hope I would last until the glorious sunset


If not, I will go to a hill for a final trek 

To breathe the misty air from the trees 

And embrace the clouds on the grass


I would cook myself a spicy last dinner 

With a dessert, I loved from my childhood

And one last toast to myself with a wine 


I hope I will see my loved ones waiting for me

Like my grandfather saw his, in the death bed 

I'll go with them without any regrets and sorrow


This poem is based on #journalingprompt 'What would you do if you knew you had one day left to live?' The next poems in this series are What After Death? and  Another Life? . 

3 comments:

jennyinneverland said...

Writing poems from journal prompts is a great idea. This was really moving.

GWT said...

'Maybe a bribe yo get a ticket to heaven'
That line made me smile.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing and relatable....make you feel nostalgic, what if this is last day unearth.