18 Apr 2022

A Lone Walker



I am a lone walker

After the sunset 

Along a tiled riverside pathway 

With the company of the silent river 

Under the canopy of plantains and trees 

Guided by the moonlight and lights from homes

Without the hustles of walkers and runners 

It is a realm I crave in big cities for a walk

With crickets from bushes on the sides 

Making noise along with the birds 

The reeds wave along with the wind 

Lonely streetlamps are a relief 

In pitch dark areas I see mirages 

Of individuals looking at the river

I could hear the conversations of 

People enjoying drinks in the evening 

The movements in the bushes scare at times

As the bund used to be a haven of snakes 

I have seen mongooses wandering around 

I see the imageries on the ripples of rivers 

Created by the lights from the other shore 

Seeds of poems give my mind a workout 

Sometimes, the mind tells me interesting tales

The music from temples on the other shore 

Spruces mind at the end of the pathway 

At times, I see men sitting on the stone benches 

Enjoying the peace of evening in darkness 

The walk itself is an affirmation to see

Sunrise on dawn someday 

As I remain chained to the sleeping pill 

My long walks in the past drove me to 

Move to other cities with a belief 

I am walking with an aim 

To escape from here!


This poem is based on the seed I had in mind while walking in the evening. I indeed walk when there is nobody in the path. Image from the Unsplash. 

1 comment:

JamieAdStories said...

Lovely use of imagery. Great poem!