18 Mar 2022

A Prophecy




An astrologer adorning red 

with conch shells arranged on a wooden plate 

Idols and images of gods and goddesses behind

 The aroma of the floral offerings and scents in the air

The presence of spirits is felt when the large shell is moved

She closed her eyes and prayed with divine verses 

With a concerned face, she asked if I am ready 

To hear a prophecy that will change my life 

I prayed to the gods and goddesses to be kind

She, with an intimidating voice, told me that 

There will be a death in my house in a month 

No godly or evil force can stop that from happening

I was in shock, and my friend too felt the shock 

My father was sick and stuck in another city 

And I was about to visit to bring him home

It was a prophecy about my father's death

He survived a silent heart attack and  was 

Kept in intensive care unit for days upon arrival   

Even doctors said its hard to tell until two days 

He made recovery and made it home safely 

But he had to survive some more days in the hospital 

Again, I hoped that the worst days are behind and 

We held a puja at home for his wellbeing 

But only to see him gasping for breath

Within days, on a fateful Friday night 

I saw him leaving this world in my hands 

on the way to the hospital, exactly a month

After the prophecy! I spent those four weeks with him

With a belief that he will survive! But prophecy turned true!



1 comment:

Graham Crosby said...

A touchingly beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing.